Home » Tulip Stitch: A Free Crochet Tutorial

Tulip Stitch | Free Crochet Tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten | Unique Crochet Stitches | Step by Step | Textured | Blanket | Scarf

Tulip Stitch: A Free Crochet Tutorial

When I was pregnant with my first child I received a lovely crocheted blanket at my baby shower. I have used it with all three of my girls and it is certainly well loved. Ever since I learned to crochet the stitch of this blanket intrigued me. I always had intentions of sitting down and figuring it out. Well the girls dug it out of the closet the other day, so I figured I might as well figure out this stitch.

Tracking down a name for this stitch was quite the difficult process. The closest I’ve come to finding it is the Tulip Stitch… also very similar to the Crazy Stitch, Slanted Shell Stitch and the Brick Stitch. For today’s tutorial, I am going to call it the Tulip Stitch. This pretty stitch creates a heavily patterned fabric that has a really fun texture. The groups of double crochets look like they are made in a zig-zag pattern.

Learn to crochet the tulip stitch

There is just a 1 row repeat so it is easy to memorize and it creates its own lovely scalloped border. How cool is that?! After the foundation row all the stitches are crocheted into chain spaces rather than in a stitch. This makes this for a very quick growing project.  This is a versatile stitch that would suit a variety of different yarns and projects. From experience, I know that it makes a great baby blanket 😉.

For this tutorial I used

• #4/Worsted Weight Yarn (specifically Red Heart Soft in Seafoam)
  • 5 mm hook

• I use US terminology
  • Ch(s): chain(s)
  • Sc: single crochet
  • Dc: double crochet
  • St(s): stitch(es)

Tulip Stitch Crochet Tutorial

Ch a multiple of 4

Learn to Crochet the Tulip Stitch

Row  1: Dc in 3rd ch from hook, ch 2, sc in next ch * skip 2 chs. 2 dc in next ch, ch 2, sc in next ch. Repeat from * across. Turn

Learn to Crochet the Tulip Stitch

Row 2: Ch 2, Skip 1st st. (2 dc, ch 2, sc) in ch 2 sp. *Skip 3 sts. (2 dc, ch 2, sc) in ch 2 sp. Repeat from * across. Turn.

Repeat row 2 until project is desired size

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Want to learn more stitches?

You might like these:

Cabbage Patch Stitch

Quick Shell Stitch

Modified Silt Stitch

Tell me what you think of this stitch in the comments!

P.S. There is a super fun Summer Activities Crochet-A-Long happening in the CAL Central Facebook and Ravelry groups! It starts on Monday. Look for a fun camping themed pattern from yours truly. Hope to see you there!

You can find more information about this CAL here: Summer Activities CAL

Summer CAL

Learn to Crochet the Tulip Stitch: a free crochet tutorial by The Unraveled Mitten

26 comments

1. Tina Sterrett says:

Thank you for the tutorial. I don’t have a lot of confidence in myself crocheting but I have been able to do the floret stitch, and the modified silt stitch. I’m using cotton yarn and making square dish cloths for my daughter.

2. D. Rhode says:

If making a washcloth, would it be better to make it out of cotton? The pattern look easy to do. Thank you for putting this one out there.

3. JoAnn McAlexander says:

I love the Tulip Stitch…. I’m working on an Afghan for my grandson using this stitch. Thank You for sharing your patterns.

4. Diana says:

I am self taught and I enjoy crocheting. I am retired and have several grandchildren. I have done baby blankets and other simple projects but am trying to teach myself more complicated stitches and patterns. A tutorial like this so helpful. Thank you

5. It’s my favorite Stitch I’ve been using it for years, on scarfs, blankets, dishcloths, you name it. Works really nice with cotton, acrylic & it’s especially quick when used with Bernat Blanket yarn… talk about a quickie Afghan. Thank you for reviving this oldie but goodie 💕

6. Lynda O'Hara says:

Heather, thank you for such a lovely easy to follow pattern. I love it. Am planning on a baby blanket using this stitch. It sure is easier and faster than the stitch I was planning on. You are terrific.

7. Aloha Neff says:

I love this pattern and started a baby blanket. I should have made it a little wider (I’m at 30″ wide). Could I add a border around to increase the width? If so what border would you suggest?

• Heather says:

It may just take a little experimenting to find the right border. I would try a plain single crochet border to start. I think the smoothness of the single crochets would pair nicely with the texture of the stitch.

• Heather says:

It really depends on your yarn weight and hook size and your tension. My advice is to chain as long as you want it and make sure its a multiple of 4. If I was using the same 5.5mm hook and Red Heart Soft like in the tutorial I would use a starting chain of 124.

8. Gabby says:

Another comment! I’m really struggling with the second row. Specifically the part that says Skip 3 sts. (2 dc, ch 2, sc) in ch 2 sp. I can’t tell which would be the third stitch 🙁 I think because maybe some got covered from the previous step? Help!

• Heather says:

Don’t worry so much about counting the skipped stitches. You will work the (2dc, ch 2, sc) in each ch 2 space across the row. Does that help at all?

• Gabby says:

Yes. The problem is it looks like there are also spaces near the bottom of the row as well. I may have it though. Hopefully! Its a beautiful pattern! Is there a video tutorial I could watch?