Home » Tulip Stitch: A Free Crochet Tutorial

Tulip Stitch Crochet Tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten

Tulip Stitch: A Free Crochet Tutorial

Spread the love
  • 142.7K
    Shares

When I was pregnant with my first child I received a lovely crocheted blanket at my baby shower. I have used it with all three of my girls and it is certainly well loved. Ever since I learned to crochet the stitch of this blanket intrigued me. I always had intentions of sitting down and figuring it out. Well the girls dug it out of the closet the other day, so I figured I might as well figure out this stitch.

Tracking down a name for this stitch was quite the difficult process. The closest I’ve come to finding it is the Tulip Stitch… also very similar to the Crazy Stitch, Slanted Shell Stitch and the Brick Stitch. For today’s tutorial, I am going to call it the Tulip Stitch. This pretty stitch creates a heavily patterned fabric that has a really fun texture. The groups of double crochets look like they are made in a zig-zag pattern.

Learn To Crochet the Tulip Stitch | The Unraveled Mitten

There is just a 1 row repeat so it is easy to memorize and it creates its own lovely scalloped border. How cool is that?! After the foundation row all the stitches are crocheted into chain spaces rather than in a stitch. This makes this for a very quick growing project.  This is a versatile stitch that would suit a variety of different yarns and projects. From experience, I know that it makes a great baby blanket ?.

For this tutorial I used

• #4/Worsted Weight Yarn (specifically Red Heart Soft in Seafoam)
  • 5 mm hook

• I use US terminology
  • Ch(s): chain(s)
  • Sc: single crochet
  • Dc: double crochet
  • St(s): stitch(es)

Tulip Stitch Crochet Tutorial

Ch a multiple of 4

Row  1: Dc in 3rd ch from hook, ch 2, sc in next ch * skip 2 chs. 2 dc in next ch, ch 2, sc in next ch. Repeat from * across. Turn

Learn to Crochet The Tulip Stitch | Tutorial by The Unraveled Mitten

Row 2: Ch 2, Skip 1st st. (2 dc, ch 2, sc) in ch 2 sp. *Skip 3 sts. (2 dc, ch 2, sc) in ch 2 sp. Repeat from * across. Turn.

Learn to Crochet The Tulip Stitch | Tutorial by The Unraveled Mitten

Repeat row 2 until project is desired size

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Want to learn more stitches?

You might like these:

Cabbage Patch Stitch

Quick Shell Stitch

Modified Silt Stitch

Tell me what you think of this stitch in the comments!

Learn To Crochet the Tulip Stitch | Free Crochet Tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten | Shell Stitch

Spread the love
  • 142.7K
    Shares
    142.7K
    Shares
  • 281
  • 142.4K

58 comments

1. Jo Baird says:

It’s a lot like the pompadour stitch I came across just this week! I used a variety of both the stitches on an Afghan I did for my cousin and a baby Blanket I did. The stitch I’m working on for a baby Blanket is actually called Jamie’s Pompadour. It’s a pattern I found on some old yarn of my grans

• Kathleen says:

I enjoy your site very much and I read the pattern on how it is done and I am going to use the cabbage stich for my Dallas cowboys afgan thank you

• Cheryl Newman says:

As I was writing the pattern out it reminded me of a stitch I have used for years. When I read the comments, I remember the Jamie yarn and probably where I got the pattern. Thank you.

2. April says:

Hi! Crochet is brand new to me, so I hope you won’t mind helping me with your pattern. After chaining one hundred sixty and working the first row, I ended up with 39 and a half shells and two chains left over. Is there supposed to be half of a shell at each end of the row? If so, how do I work the last half shell? Thank you for your kind help!

• Susie says:

If you start with a multiple of 3 and do your first dc in the 3rd chain you won’t have any leftover chains. That being said, everyone miscounts once in a while. If it bugs you, you can pull it out and redo it, but if it were me I would “fudge” it. I would either squeeze a full shell in the end or I would unpick the last stitch or two of the chain. Alternatively, if you are putting an edge around the blanket that’s fairly substantial, you can just work over those last two stitches as part of the tail.

3. MaryAnn says:

This stitch is very similar to one I did this winter for a “bun” hat. It was called “Tumbling Block” because it resembles baby blocks. Really cute when each row is done in separate colors. Works up very fast.

4. Susie says:

I have been using this stitch for years, I just didn’t know it had a name! This always makes up so quickly for baby gifts and the stitch lends itself to stripes of whatever thickness you like. I sometimes leave the edges as is, since it turns out with that cute scallop, but to change things up it’s easy enough to add nearly any kind of border. Love this pattern.

5. That sounds like the Jamie blanket stitch. I’ll have to look up the pattern in my reader’s digest book for the other name, but i love this stitch, my favorite. I love the way it makes a shell like edging on the sides of the blanket. The first row is a little different, but once you get on the Patten repeat it’s the same. I can’t remember if there is one sc or two sc in the Patten.

6. Kristen says:

You say in the comments it should be a multiple of 3 to come out even but your pattern states a multiple of 4 which is correct?