Home » Iris Stitch Crochet Tutorial

Iris Stitch Crochet tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten

Iris Stitch Crochet Tutorial

Spread the love
  • 71.7K
    Shares

Here we are in the last week of our National Crochet Month Celebration! I hope you have enjoyed all the stiches so far!

If you are new here, in celebration of National Crochet Month, every Friday in March I have been sharing a new crochet stitch with you. What better way to advance our skills than to learn new stitches right?

Week 1: Offset V Stitch

Week 2: Back and Front Loop Half Double Crochet

Week 3: Trinity Stitch

Week 4: Balanced Shell Stitch

This week I had a hard time picking a stitch to share with you. I swatched quite a few of them before I settled on the Iris Stitch. This is the same stitch I used on the lace portion of the Petoskey Lace Cowl.

I would qualify this as an easy crochet stitch. If you have mastered your basic stitches and want to on move on to something a little more interesting, give this one a try.

The Iris Stitch is a great one for watching TV and crocheting. There is only a one row repeat and beyond the foundation row, all your stitches are placed in spaces and not in a stitch. I love crochet stitches like this. They are so relaxing and easy to memorize.

Iris Stitch Crochet tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten

This elegant crochet stitch would be great for a variety of different projects: blankets -why does my brain always go there first? Probably because I always wish I had the patience to make them haha – scarves, sweaters, it looks great paired with basic stitches as an accent and pretty much any other project you can dream up.

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up for our FREE weekly newsletter to stay up to date with what is going on here at The Unraveled Mitten.

Materials

-I used Caron Simply Soft in the color Strawberry, which is a #4 worsted weight yarn
-5mm crochet hook
As always please feel free to use any yarn weight and hook combo you want!

-I use US terminology
-ch(s): chain(s)
-dc: double crochet
-st(s): stitch(es)
-sp(s): space(es)

Notes

Ch 3 counts as 1 dc

Instructions

Ch a multiple of 4 + 1, plus 2

iris stitch tutorial row 1

Row 1: (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in 5th ch from hook. *Skip 3 sts, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next ch. Repeat from * across until 2 chs remain. Sk 1 ch, dc in last. Turn.

iris stitch tutorial row 2

Row 2: Ch 3. Skip 2 sts. *(2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in ch 1 sp, skip 4 sts. Repeat from * across until 3 sts remain. Skip 2 sts, Dc in last. Turn

Repeat row 2 until your piece is the desired size.

That is all there is too it! Easy right?

Are you going to try this stitch?

Join out exclusive crochet club on Facebook!! Share your projects, ask questions and get inspired.

PIN ME!!

Iris Stitch Croche Tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten | Easy Shell Stitch | blanket | scarf | Beginner

Spread the love
  • 71.7K
    Shares
    71.7K
    Shares
  • 186
  • 71.5K

47 comments

1. Jackie says:

Beautiful stitch I’m going to try it when I’m done with the project that I’m doing. I self taught myself to crochet. I started with knitting and when which to crocheting I did a lot of searching to find what I needed to learn.

2. Ada says:

Wonderful done Dear! I love your way of presenting these stitches – simple and elegant, ease to learn from your tutorials. Thank you for sharing!.

3. Nancy says:

Thank you for news stitches. I am in my 80s and I crochet everyday. I make all kinds of things for babies and young children which are given away to needy families. I love doing this and feel very blessed to do it. I have become known for my ministry and find bags of yarn hanging on my Apt door which I use in my projects. I also do some of my items for adults.

4. Sonya says:

We have just learned that our first grandchild will be a girl & she is going to be called Iris, so I am very grateful for this wonderfully clear tutorial!

• Iris Eisenberg says:

My name is Iris, so when I saw that there is a stitch with my name, I just had to see what it looked like. It’s a beautiful stitch and I can’t wait to try it. Best wishes on the birth of your first grandchild. Iris

5. Jenna says:

I’m having a difficult time following the instructions. I think it’s because I’m a hands on person. Do you happen to have a video that I can follow along with? It’s a beautiful stitch that I want to use in a scarf. Thank you! God bless!

6. cora says:

I would like to know if you have a printable version of this pot holder. I am not able to do the tutorials, need written instructions. Thank You.

7. Lorraine Preece says:

You have some really great patterns, Heather. Keep up the good work. I love all your new stitch patterns. I’ve been collecting most all of them.
    I’ve been knitting since I was around 5 yrs. old, & learned to crochet,but never picked up on the crocheting until I was around 45-50. (I’m now 73, so I’ve had a bit of practice!) I love doing them both!
    Thanks again for the great patterns.

8. Peggy says:

the V stitch and the offset V stitches have been my go to stitches for several years. I am now happy to add the Iris stitch to the list!! I did find however that the Iris stitch shows up better in the lighter colored yarns. I am making a scarf in the stitch for my doctor using a pale green and it is showing up so beautifully. I have a good friend Iris for whom I made a swatch in Caron’s Simply Soft in what else but Iris! It is lovely but the stitch doesn’t shine like it does in the paler green color. She loved it anyway and is going to use the stitch in an afghan for for her great grand daughter.

9. Rebecca Neil says:

I’m confused by your instructions on the initial chain. If you mean that we should chain in multiples of 4+1, plus an additional 2 chains, why not just say chain in multiiples of 5, plus 2 ? If you mean that we should chain in multiples of 4, plus 1 and plus 2 more, then why not say chain in multiples of 4 plus 3? I understand what the +1 (or 2, or 3, etc) means. It is the “+1, plus 2” combination that confuses me. Can you clarify your instructions please?

• Heather says:

Chain a multiple of 4 and then add the 3 more chains. The +1 is an extra chain to make it symmetrical, start with a dc and end with a dc, and the plus 2 is for the turning chain of the foundation row.

10. Rebecca Neil says:

Heather, Thanks so much for clarifying that initial chain for me. I’ve started my Iris lap blanket and the stitching is coming out perfectly! You are also right when you say that it is such an easy stitch that it can be done while watching TV. The stitch is so simple yet it produces such a delicate and beautiful pattern. I love it! Thank you for making this new stitch available to the crochet world! I can’t wait to follow you and see what else you can teach me.