Quick Shell Stitch | Free Croche Tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten | Easy | Crochet Stitches

Sharing is caring!

The Quick Shell Crochet Stitch pattern creates a lacy eyelet fabric by working alternating rows of 3 double crochets shells and chain stitches. Scroll down to find the tutorial!

Tips for crocheting the quick shell stitch

This crochet shell stitch variation is achieved by working a row of 3 double crochet shells over a row of chain stitches. This creates an overall fabric with little eyelets in it.

This lovely crochet stitch would suit a variety of different yarn weights and projects. Hats, blankets, scarves, market bags, baby items…. the list goes on.

It would also lend itself well to stripes or color blocks, just make your color change at the end of a “shell row.”

When working your foundation chains, I suggest either going up at least a half a hook size or make sure your chains are very loose. I found that when I used the same hook size throughout, the bottom of my piece was too tight and make my swatch look a little wonky.

*This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase I receive a small commission. That money helps me maintain my site so I can continue to share my patterns and tutorials with you for free.

Quick Shell Crochet Stitch

Information needed for this crochet stitch tutorial

• For this tutorial, I used a #4 Worsted Weight Yarn…. Caron Simply Soft in the color Strawberry to be specific.
  • 5 mm and 5.5 mm hook
  • Please feel free to pick whatever yarn weight and hook combo you want.

I use US terminology

• Ch(s): chain(s)
  • Sc: single crochet
  • Dc: double crochet
  • St(s): stitch(es)

Don’t miss any new tutorials from The Unraveled Mitten! Sign up for our newsletter below

Details

• 2 row repeat
  • chain a multiple of 3 + 2 more
  • Ch 3 counts as DC
  • Ch 1 does not count as stitch

Quick Shell Crochet Stitch Instructions

Using the bigger hook ( I used a 5.5mm), chain a  multiple of 3 +2  more chains. I chained 26.

Row 1: Switch to your smaller hook (I used a 5mm). Sc in 2nd ch from hook. *Ch 3, skip 2 chs, sc in next, repeat from * across. Turn.

Row 2: This will be considered the Right Side of your piece.  Ch 3, (counts as 1 dc here and throughout). Dc in same st as ch 3. Sc in ch 3 space, * 3 dc in next sc, sc in next ch 3 space. Repeat from * across. 2 dc in last sc. Turn.

Row 3: Ch 1. Sc in same st as ch 1. * Ch 3, skip next 3 sts, sc in next (this will be the middle dc of shell from previous row). Repeat from * across, placing your last sc in top of turning ch 3. Turn

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until your piece is the desired size.

Want to purchase supplies I used in today’s tutorial? Start here (affiliate link):

Don’t forget to share your projects with me on Facebook or you can use #theunraveledmitten on Instagram.

Save this tutorial on Pinterest!

Quick Shell Crochet Stitch Tutorial | The easy crochet stitch will fly off your hook. Use it for your next blanket, scarf or wrap project!

What are you going to make with the Quick Shell Stitch?

Similar Posts

50 Comments

1. I wanted to crochet a prayer shawl to donate and couldn’t find a pattern I liked. I looked through my Pinterest collection and found your quick shell stitch tutorial. Thanks to your having the multiple count, I have started what I think will be a beautiful shawl. Thank you so much!

1. For the prayer shawl, how many stitches did you chain? What is the measurement of your shawl?

2. Katherine says:

Thank you for this stitch tutorial l! I have a shawl my Grandmother crocheted for me when I was 3 or 4 and have tried to figure out the pattern off and on over the past 50+ years. I let my daughter use it ( she loved it as much as I did )and many of her friends really wanted one of their own. Now, after all these years I learn it is the Shell stitch! Thank you!!! Now I will be crocheting several for future gifts! And maybe an adult version for my Daughter! 😊

3. Juliana H Rolle says:

Thanks for all the different stiches I have learnt from you. I just got back to the love of crochet after 45 yrs. I can’t thank you enough.

4. The lovely and adorable idea that you are giving to crochet lovers. It’s so Impressive and useful. thanks for the attractive and beautiful ideas.

5. I hv tried 2 different types of yarn but it seems to want to start curling up on the3d row am i doing something wrong or does it come out of it after a few more row? im lost

1. It should straighten out as you continue to add rows.

6. How msny do you chain if making s vaby blanket.?

1. It depends on your yarn and hook size. Make a chain as wide as you want your blanket to be using the multiple provided in the tutorial.

7. Jeanne McGriff says:

It is now 2019. I noticed all the comments above were written in 2017. I hope you are still writing this blog. I have crocheted a baby blanket 31″ X 36″ using the Quick Shell Stitch. When I started I didn’t notice the pattern didn’t include instructions to crochet an edging or a decorative border. One end of course has the foundation chain stitches. I have done the sc stitch on the end with the foundation chain stitches and the 2 sides…..now what to do on the opposite end? On which row do I stop crocheting the pattern? The row with shells or the row where Ch 3s are anchored in the center stitch of each shell?

1. Hi Jeanne, I’m glad you enjoyed using this stitch. Stop crocheting on the anchoring row (ch 3s and sc) for a smooth edge. Then you can add your border.

8. since you don’t have a video can you Please add pictures of the begging of row 2, end of row 2 and row 3.. Or maybe a drawing for all the new beginners to crotchet.. thank you so much…..Love the way this pattern looks..

9. Dana Fahrney says:

Heather, I have been watching tutorials and have just one question (for now). Placement of the crochet hook goes where…..through both top stitches, the single front of the stitch, or the single back of the stitch. Or perhaps it doesn’t matter, just so it’s consistent. Can you help me?

1. Always assume the hook goes through both top loops unless a pattern tells you otherwise. 😊

10. KRISTINE KALISZEWSKI says:

Do you have a printable version of this patter?

11. Millicentwilson says:

I am trying to make a baby blanket but when I get to the end of each row I make three chains and turn ,but my blanket it is never even ,,,not straight

12. Sherrlyn Harmon says:

is it possible to print the Quick Shell Stitch pattern? I’m new and it would be helpful for me to have a pattern to look at. thanks

13. Hello. I’ve have followed your instructions and used the bigger hook (5.5) for my foundation stitch, and switched to my 5.0 hook for the rest of the blanket. My 1st three rows seem to be taking a curve, thus making the blanket round. What am I doing wrong? I would appreciate your input.

14. I can’t wait to make this blanket for my nieces little girl. I am thinking of making small flowers and sewing them all around the borders. The blanket is going to be light blue. I don’t know if I want to make the flowers the same color or do them in pink. Please tell me what you think!

15. Barbara Davidson says:

I love crocheting, and the many different things you can see.

16. Shelly hicks says:

how do you join the squares when making a Afghan. what joining stitch do you use

17. This is a lovely stich, thank you for posting it. I do wish the adds would stop. I have to copy/paste the pattern so I can take it to my chair & use this pretty pattern. I Do Not sell or post it. It is Just for My Personal use as I can not sit in front of the computer & use it. The adds keep me refreshing the pattern after every copy/paste.

1. I love this one too, you’re welcome. I understand your frustrations about the ads however having them on my site is what allows me to offer these patterns and tutorials to you for free. The money I make from having ads in my posts covers all the expenses that go into running this site as well as my time involved. ☺

18. Love this stitch!! Working it now!

1. Hi Terri, I do not have a video tutorial for this stitch at this time.

19. Love the pattern very pretty and delicate ! I too totally go berserk trying to read patterns ? ….Is there a chance you will be doing video tutorials in the future? You have a lot of very pretty work I would love to try ?

1. Thank you Leah! I hope to offer video tutorials in the future, I am just not set up for if now. ?

20. You should put your pictures below the instructions. I was eager to make this dishcloth but was confused until I realized that the photo I was looking at was for the instructions underneath the photo (underneath the ads) and it was truly confusing……….. ;(

1. Thank you for bringing this to my attention Tina! I can see how that looks confusing. I edited it so the pictures are now below the instruction.

21. I too am javing the same problem as Heather i jave double checked and tried different chain counts always have one ch left at end.

1. I’m sorry you’re having trouble. I worked this stitch a few different times today, each time with different starting chains and it is stated correctly in the pattern (multiple of 3 + 2). Check your foundation chain again and make sure you are only skipping 2 chains between each single crochet. Let me know if you are still having trouble and we can troubleshoot this a little more.

22. I have 150 +2 stitches and at the end of row 1, I have 1 chain stitch left over from the foundation. Have I don’t something wrong? I have every 50th chain marked and double checked and everything. Please help! My daughter wants a blanket.
    Tia!!

1. For some reason your comment didn’t come through until now. I hope you have figured this out!! If not, I would double check you have the correct amount of foundation chains and make sure you’ve skipped 2 chains in between each single crochet. Let me know if you are still having trouble.

23. How would i make this in the round? Im thinking it would make a nice pattern for a beanie. Thank you

24. Hi Heather: Thanks for adding me; I am going to start the quick shell stitch. I have been crocheting for years but always like a new idea/pattern.

1. You’re welcome Shirley. Happy Crocheting!!

25. I love this stitch! I’m just learning to read crotchet patterns and I’m having trouble picturing each step. Your photos are helpful but I still can’t seem to make my stitches look like yours. Do you have a video tutorial?

1. Isn’t so pretty!? ? I do not have a video tutorial. If there is a certain part your hung up on I would be happy to help. Although, it may just be a case of “tension” we all crochet a little different. Some a little looser, some tighter. This can affect how your stitches look. Keep practicing and let me know if I can help. ?

1. Ik I’m going to sound a bit silly here but I’m a bit confused. Can you go into more detail about rows 2 and 3s instructions? Specifically, what do you mean by, dc in the same stitch as chain 3? (Row 2) do you mean dc in the 3 chains made after turning the work? Or the 3rd ch from hook? Same q for row 3 sc?

1. Amber I’m with you. I don’t understand “dc in the same stitch as chain 3” I wish Heather had replied to you back in September. I’m in need of a baby blanket and this stitch looks very pretty. I’m going to try with the 3rd ch from the hook.

1. I’m sorry you’re having trouble. If you look at your work after you turn and ch 3 the first double crochet goes into that stitch at the base of the ch 3. So you will have 2 stitches in that stitch because the ch 3 counts as a dc. Does that clear it up at all?

2. Hi Amber I hope you found some help by now, but in case you haven’t I’ll give it a whirl. Place the dc and the sc

1. Place the sc and dc from rows 2 and 3 in the stitch at the base of the turning chain.

3. Cheryl Rodriguez says:

I have learned it is the stitch at the base of the chain 3, last stitch made on previous row.

2. Terri szydlowski says:

How do you get the video tutorial?

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlT3VJSLnz8.
      i found this video on line and it helped me…..Hope it’s ok to post…

Have fun leaning, i did….thanks to Unraveled mitten for sharing
      this stitch with us, pictures and written directions….Beginners have a hard time reading all stitch abbreviations.