Home » Petoskey Lace Cowl: Free Crochet Pattern

Petoskey Lace Cow | Free Crochet Pattern | The Unraveled Mitten

Petoskey Lace Cowl: Free Crochet Pattern

Spread the love
  • 637
    Shares

The Petoskey Lace Cowl was inspired by a knit cowl I seen a few years ago on Pinterest. This project kind of started off emulating that cowl but evolved into this pretty, feminine and romantic cowl instead.

It uses less than a ball of Lion Brand Scarfie and 6.5 mm hook and works up pretty quickly with just 16 rounds. It seams like when ever I make a cowl it is started from the bottom up, but this one you start at the top so the lace lays the right way at the bottom. I added some increases before the lace section so it would flare out a little bit because when I made  it straight down, the lacy stitches just got lost in the rest of the cowl and I wanted it to stand out.

If you’re from Michigan you probably know just where I got the name for this cowl! Our state stone is the petoskey stone (which is actually a fossil) and this color of Scarfie reminds me of how it changes color across its surface.

It is also the name of a historic town along Lake Michigan in my state that is filled with cute little Victorian houses and I feel like this cowl fits right in with that aesthetic.

Petoskey Lace Cowl | Free Crochet Pattern | The Unraveled Mitten

You may purchase and Ad-Free PDF version of this pattern on Ravelry.

** This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase I receive a small commission that helps me run this site and continue to offer my patterns and tutorials for free.

Materials

• Less than 1 skein of Lion Brand Scarfie (5.29 oz/312yds) or similar #5 bulky weight yarn
  • 6.5 mm/K crochet hook
  • Needle to weave in ends
  • Scissors

Gauge and Sizing

• Gauge: 11 stitches x 6 rows in alternating rows of back loop and front loop dc. = 4 inches
  • Finished cowl measures: 15 in wide on non-increasing dc rounds x 11.5 in tall

• I use US Terminology
  • Ch(s): chain(s)
  • Dc: double crochet
  • Sp: space
  • Sl st: slip stitch
  • BLO: back loop only
  • St(s): stitch(es)

Petoskey Lace Cowl | Free Crochet Pattern | The Unraveled Mitten

Notes

-Ch 2 does not count as a stitch

-Ch 3 does count as a stitch

-Cowl is worked from the top down.

Pattern

Rnd 1: Ch 80, Taking care not to twist, join to form circle. Ch 2, Dc in same ch as ch 2 and in each ch around. Join to top of 1st dc with sl st. (80)

Rnd 2-10: Ch 2, Working in BLO, dc in same st as ch 2 and in each st around. Join to top of 1st dc with sl st (80)

Rnd 11: Ch 2, Working in BLO 2 dc in same st as ch 2, dc 19, * 2dc in next, dc 19, repeat from * around. Join to top of 1st dc with sl st. (84)

Rnd 12: Ch 2, Working in BLO 2 dc in same st as ch 2, dc 20, * 2dc in next, dc 20, repeat from * around. Join to top of 1st dc with sl st. (88)

Rnd 13: Ch 2, Working in BLO 2 dc in same st as ch 2, dc 10, * 2dc in next, dc 10, repeat from * around. Join to top of 1st dc with sl st. (96)

Rnd 14: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc), (dc, ch 2, 2dc) in same st as ch 3, *skip 3 sts, (2dc, ch 2, 2dc) in next, repeat from * around. Skip last 3 sts. Join to top of ch 3 with sl st.

Rnd 15-16: Sl st into ch 2 sp, Ch 3, (dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same ch 2 sp. (2dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in each ch 2 sp around. Join to top of ch 3 with sl st. On last round finish off and weave in ends.

If you liked this cowl you might also want to check out these other 2 free cowl patterns using Lion Brand yarn: Amazing Cowl The Wildwood Striped Cowl

Come follow me on Facebook and Instagram to see all the latest behind the scenes info!

PIN ME!!

Petoskey Lace Cowl | Free Crochet Pattern | The Unraveled Mitten

Spread the love
  • 637
    Shares
    637
    Shares
  • 502
  • 135

37 comments

1. Heidi Higginbotham says:

Hello! Beautiful cowl and I am making the gauge swatch using Scarfie right now. I just realized that gauge instructions do not have an actual measurement to go by! I’ll,forge ahead but thought I’d bring that to your attention. Thanks for this gift of a beautiful pattern. Making it for my cousin for Christmas.

• Heather says:

Thank you Heidi and you are very welcome! I’m sure your cousin will love it. I updated the gauge info, it is in 4 inches. I’m so glad you let me know. Merry Christmas.

• Heidi Higginbotham says:

Awesome…thanks! I have perfect t row height gauge but I have 12 stitches in 4 inches so guess it will be a bit smaller/narrower. I love it!

2. Mary Bogden says:

I just finished a project with the Scarfie yarn and it was beautiful. This is a lovely pattern. In round 1, do you join the chain row as well as the first complete DC row? I am trying to visualize this. Thank you!

• Heather says:

Thank you Mary! Yes you join the chain row after you chain 80 and then then join the last dc to the 1st dc at the end of the round. ?

3. Peggy Hill says:

Would it come out tighter if I did hd instead of dc. And would I have to do more rows. Wanting to make this for a 76 year old woman

• Ronda says:

I am wondering the same thing. I like the HDC stitch. I also want to make it big enough to come up over the head. I’m hoping it won’t be to much under the neck if I do that. By the way Heather I am from MI and love that you named it what you did!

• Heather says:

Yes the stitches would be a little “tighter” because they are shorter and you would have to add more rows to get the same height.

• Silvia says:

But what about if I need something wider or smaller? Is there a specific multiple to,follow? I’d like to make it for myself but I believe I’d need it wider.

4. Dianne Scoville says:

I love the colors & the pattern but I’m allergic to wool. Can you give a suggestion of an acrylic yarn that might make up as nice as this one??

• Heather says:

You should be able to substitute any lighter worsted weight yarn, I would use Lion Brand Heartland, Red Heart Soft or Caron Simply Soft or I came across some Deborah Norville Everyday Worsted that was really soft and squishy like this wool-ease. I haven’t ever used it so I am not sure how it works up but it could be worth a look. Vanna’s Choice would be a good substitute too.

5. Mearla VanDenBerg says:

You’ll see me commenting on this project several times! Lol! I love it and the pattern name, as I’m from MI, too!

6. Michelle W says:

I made this cowl over the last few days and love it so much. The pattern was easy to understand and the required yarn is amazing.
    Thanks ??

7. Hayley says:

I love this, worked up very quickly. I am in the UK and used chunky wool with a 5.5mm hook and it is perfect for me. Just need a hat and some mitts to match now!

8. Billi Wickey says:

Easy enough for beginners. Michiganders especially those of us from Up North will appreciate the name. Thanks for highlighting the Magnificent Mitten State!

9. Tracy J says:

The name of your cowl caught my attention, as I spent many years in the Petoskey area, and am to this day a Michigan resident. This is beautiful, and I cannot wait to make it!