This cozy ear warmer is a great first crochet cable project. It uses a basic left and right twisting rope type cable.
I have actually had this quick project on the docket since I published a crochet cable tutorial last spring but somehow it just kept getting pushed back and then I lost…. yes I said lost… the headband I already had done and of course had to start over. Good thing it works up fairly fast!
I can tell this is going to be one of my favorite accessories to wear this fall! It has been so chilly in the mornings already and this is easy enough to throw on on my way out the door to get the kids to school and looks cute too.
The pattern as written should fit most adult women but after a quick math session, I was able to come up with child and toddler/preschooler sizes too. Be sure to read the notes section to get the scoop on how to adjust the sizing. It also uses only 1/2 a skein of Lion Brand’s Touch of Alpaca yarn and yes it is as soft as it looks. This yarn is dreamy you guys!
- 106 yds Lion Brand Touch of Alpaca (3.5 oz/207 yds) or similar #4/worsted weight yarn
- 5.5 mm/I crochet hook-This one is my fav!
- Needle to weave in ends – I like these!
Gauge and Sizing
- Gauge: 15 sts x 11 rows = 4 in. in HDC
- Finished size: 4 in wide x 19 in long
- I use US Terminology
- Ch(s): chain(s)
- Hdc: half double crochet
- St(s): stitch(es)
- Fptr: front post treble crochet
- Fpdtr: front post double treble crochet
- Sl st: slip stitch
- Ch 1 does not count as a stitch
- The pattern is adult size as written
- Child Size: follow pattern, stop repeats after row 50, follow directions for seaming and wrapping. (approx. 18 in long)
- Preschooler/Toddler Size: follow pattern, stop after row 47, follow directions for seaming and wrapping. (approx. 17 in long)
- If you need some tips for crocheting cables check out my tutorial here.
- Add this pattern to your favorites on Ravelry HERE.
crochet Cable Headwrap Pattern
Row 1: Ch 16, hdc in 2nd ch from hook an in each ch across. Turn (15)
Row 2: Ch 1, hdc in same st as ch 1 and in each st across. Turn (15)
Row 3: Ch 1, hdc in same st as ch 1 and in next st. *Fptr in next 2 sts 2 rows below, hdc in next, repeat from * 3 more times. Hdc in last. Turn (15)
Row 4: Ch 1, hdc in same st as ch 1 and in each st across. Turn (15)
Row 5: Ch 1, hdc in same st as ch 1 and in next st. Skip 3 sts, fpdtr in next 2 sts 2 rows below. Hdc in 3rd skipped st. Working behind post stitches your just made, fpdtr around 2 skipped sts 2 rows below. Hdc in next st. Skip 3 sts, fpdtr in next 2 sts 2 rows below. Hdc in 3rd skipped st. Working in front of post stitches your just made, fpdtr around 2 skipped sts 2 rows below. Hdc in last 2 sts. (15)
*The picture below shows an up close look at how your cables should look, just don’t pay attention to the hook size and row stitch count. This was a photo of the headband I lost lol.
Row 6- 53: repeat rows 2-5. (15)
After last row, sl st short ends together, finish off and leave a long tail. Wrap tail around the seam a few times and weave in ends.
Did you enjoy this pattern? Sign up for my email newsletter below to get updates and pattern releases directly to your inbox!
Sharing is caring!! Save this pattern on Pinterest!
Come follow me on Instagram! Don’t forget to tag me in your mitten makes using @theunraveledmitten or #theunraveledmitten. You might even get a shout out in my Insta-stories!