The Two Track Ear Warmer is a quick and easy project that comes together in under an hour. It uses super bulky yarn and basic half double crochet stitches. I named this the Two Track Ear Warmer because that’s what it reminded me off… a two track road. I have cruised many of these back woods roads in my day.
* This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase I receive a small commission that helps me run this site and continue to offer my patterns and tutorials for free.
You will need about a ½ a skein of Lion Brand Hometown USA and a 11.5 mm hook. I used the color Portland Wine and I think this might be my new favorite purple. Hometown USA is a super soft 100% acrylic yarn that comes in 5oz/81yard skeins.
This ear warmer uses all half double crochets. They are worked in the back loop and in the 3rd loop. This gives it the appearance of a two track road! If you’ve never done the Half Double crochet in the 3rd loop before I recommend checking out this video by Tamara at Moogly. She explains it so well. You can find that HERE.
You can purchase and ad-free version of this pattern in my Ravelry and Etsy shops.
- Less than 1 skein of Lion Brand Hometown USA in color Portland Wine or less than 81 yards of a similar #6/Super Bulky Yarn.
- 11.5mm crochet hook
- Needle to weave in ends
Gauge and Sizing
- Gauge: 8 sts x 5 rows = 4 in
- Finished piece measures: 4 in wide x 8.5 in long while laying flat.
- I use US Terminology
- Ch(s): chain(s)
- Hdc: half doulble crochet
- Sl st: slip stitch
- BLO: back loop only
- Ch 1 does not count as hdc
- If you would like to make this wider repeat Round 3 one or two more times.
- You can start with any number of chains if you would like to make it in a bigger or smaller size.
- HDC in the 3rd loop video tutorial
Ch 32 to start
Rnd 1: Hdc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Taking care not to twist, join to 1st hdc with sl st.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, working in BLO, hdc in same st as ch 1 and in each around. Join to top of 1st hdc with sl st.
Rnd 3: Ch 1, working in the 3rd loop (or back bar), hdc in same st as ch 1 and in each st around. Join to top of 1st hdc with sl st
Rnd 4: repeat rnd 3
Rnd 5: Ch 1, working in BLO, hdc in same st as ch 1 and in each around. Join to top of 1st hdc with sl st. Finish off and leave a long tail. Pinch your ear warmer together along the seam and wrap your yarn tail around it a few times. Weave in ends.
Don’t miss any new patterns! Sign up for our FREE newsletter below!
Share your projects with me on Ravelry, Facebook and Instagram! I can’t wait to see your ear warmers.
This is such a great, quick pattern! A friend gave me a bunch of super bulky yarn and I’ve been using this pattern to whip up a bunch of Christmas presents. Thank you!