Double waffle stitch | free crochet tutorial | the unraveled mitten

Sharing is caring!

For as long as I can remember my Grandma has had a cream colored afghan on her couch (or davenport as they used to call it). It is the coziest most textured blanket ever… it uses this stitch.  I’m not sure if there is an official name for it but I am calling it the Double Waffle Stitch.

* This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase I receive a small commission that helps me run this site and continue to offer my patterns and tutorials for free.

In today’s tutorial I used Caron One Pound and my trusty 6mm/J Hook but please feel free to use whatever you want. This stitch has some MAJOR texture, my little sample was at least ¾ in thick! Usually when you work with post stitches you are either working the post stitches only on the right side of your piece or you are using a combo of front and back post stitches. This uses a front post double crochet on both the right and wrong side, which makes it SUPER thick.

double waffle stitch | free crochet tutorial | the unraveled mitten

I already know that this would make a great afghan. You could really take this to the next level by using some super bulky yarn to make a throw! I also think it would also do a fantastic job as a dish scrubber or washcloth or a even a squishy scarf.

If you are looking for even more crochet stitch tutorials check these out: Tulip Stitch, Quick Shell Stitch, Floret Stitch

• Ch(s): chains
  • Dc: Double Crochet
  • FPDC: Front post double crochet (tutorial from Moogly HERE)
  • St(s): Stitch(es)

Notes:

Ch 2 does not count as a stitch

Double Waffle crochet stitch Tutorial

Ch a multiple of 5 + 2 more

Row 1: Dc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across. Turn

Double waffle crochet stitch | the unraveled mitten

Row 2: Ch 2, Dc in same st as ch 2. FPDC in next 3 sts, *Dc in next 2, FPDC in next 3 sts. Repeat from * across. Dc in last st. Turn

Double Waffle Crochet Stitch Tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten

Row 3: Ch 2 Dc in same st as ch 2 and in next 3, *FPDC in next 2, Dc in next 3 sts. Repeat from * across. Dc in last st. Turn

Double Waffle Crochet Stitch Tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until your piece reaches the desired size.

What will you make? Share your projects with me on Facebook and Instagram!

Pin Me!!

Double Waffle Crochet Stitch Tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten

Similar Posts

17 Comments

1. Alanna Bellflower says:

As a long time crocheter I now tend to use various stitches in all the many small projects I do ( cowls, hats, fingerless mitts , earwarmers and scarves ). But I’ve been looking for that one Special Stitch for Afghans. The waffle stitch attracted me , but it was your Double Waffle Stitch that won me over ! I’m leaving now to get Caron Yarn to make an afghan for my nephew . Thank you !! 77 yrs old here and still in love with the fiber art of crochet .
    A.B.

2. Artemise L ARMAND says:

Can you use this pattern for mittens?

3. Can this pattern be worked with two different colors? As in having the ribbed portion one color and having the “inner” part of the waffle stitch another color?

1. You might be able to do that using some tapestry crochet techniques.

4. 😳This is AWESOME!💟

🥰I love the WF and u have definitely upped the game!
    👏🏾
    This would b great as a trivet if u used cotton! 🤔

😩Can’t wait to finish this graphghan, that has become the💪🏾bane of my existence!😡
    🤷🏽‍♀️LOL anyways thanks for sharing!!

Do u have a YouTube.com channel??

1. Gwynn Sadlier Guiette says:

Can anyone provide a pattern that has waffle on both sides?

5. I was wondering what kind of border would be nice with this pattern.

Thank you..

1. Any kind! Plain dingle crochet, shell stitch. Pretty much anything will look nice.

6. I would like a tutorial on: Crazy Stitch, Slanted Shell Stitch, Brock Stitch, and the Cabbage Stitch. Is it possibe I can get these?

7. Momm Berryman says:

Will U be doing a video that shows this stitch? I seem to learn best from visual examples. UTube has taught me many patterns I was sure I would never accomplish! Thank U for the Many Beautiful patterns U produce! Those of us who R not creative Thank U! God Bless!

8. Thank You for sharing this pattern. I made a afghan for my Brother’s Birthday and it turned out beautiful! I posted a picture on Pinterest.

9. Will the waffle pattern be the same on both the front and back?

1. Tge back will look the opposite of the front. So the stitches that are raised on the front will be recessed on the back and vise versa.

10. Janice Milam says:

Never mind. Think I figured it out.

1. Oh good! When you turn your rows it creates the horizontal line. ?

11. Janice Milam says:

I’m missing something here. Rows 2 and 3 are basically the same. How do you come by the horizontal stripes?