Home » Iris Stitch Crochet Tutorial

Iris Stitch Crochet tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten

Iris Stitch Crochet Tutorial

Spread the love
  • 45
    Shares

Here we are in the last week of our National Crochet Month Celebration! I hope you have enjoyed all the stiches so far!

If you are new here, in celebration of National Crochet Month, every Friday in March I have been sharing a new crochet stitch with you. What better way to advance our skills than to learn new stitches right?

Week 1: Offset V Stitch

Week 2: Back and Front Loop Half Double Crochet

Week 3: Trinity Stitch

Week 4: Balanced Shell Stitch

This week I had a hard time picking a stitch to share with you. I swatched quite a few of them before I settled on the Iris Stitch. This is the same stitch I used on the lace portion of the Petoskey Lace Cowl.

I would qualify this as an easy crochet stitch. If you have mastered your basic stitches and want to on move on to something a little more interesting, give this one a try.

The Iris Stitch is a great one for watching TV and crocheting. There is only a one row repeat and beyond the foundation row, all your stitches are placed in spaces and not in a stitch. I love crochet stitches like this. They are so relaxing and easy to memorize.

Iris Stitch Crochet tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten

This elegant crochet stitch would be great for a variety of different projects: blankets -why does my brain always go there first? Probably because I always wish I had the patience to make them haha – scarves, sweaters, it looks great paired with basic stitches as an accent and pretty much any other project you can dream up.

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up for our FREE weekly newsletter to stay up to date with what is going on here at The Unraveled Mitten.

Materials

-I used Caron Simply Soft in the color Strawberry, which is a #4 worsted weight yarn
-5mm crochet hook
As always please feel free to use any yarn weight and hook combo you want!

-I use US terminology
-ch(s): chain(s)
-dc: double crochet
-st(s): stitch(es)
-sp(s): space(es)

Notes

Ch 3 counts as 1 dc

Instructions

Ch a multiple of 4 + 1, plus 2

iris stitch tutorial row 1

Row 1: (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in 5th ch from hook. *Skip 3 sts, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next ch. Repeat from * across until 2 chs remain. Sk 1 ch, dc in last. Turn.

iris stitch tutorial row 2

Row 2: Ch 3. Skip 2 sts. *(2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in ch 1 sp, skip 4 sts. Repeat from * across until 3 sts remain. Skip 2 sts, Dc in last. Turn

Repeat row 2 until your piece is the desired size.

That is all there is too it! Easy right?

Are you going to try this stitch?

Join out exclusive crochet club on Facebook!! Share your projects, ask questions and get inspired.

PIN ME!!

Iris Stitch Croche Tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten | Easy Shell Stitch | blanket | scarf | Beginner

Spread the love
  • 45
    Shares
    Shares
  • 45

52 comments

1. Deborah Phillips says:

I’m working on a baby blanket with that s stitch. Any suggestions on a border that would look good?

2. Melanie says:

Do you have a quick tutorial on finishing the chained or foundation row with a nice scalloped edge to match the other side?

• Olivia says:

I would suggest crocheting the same two row stitches on the opposite side of the chain, that is, using the same chain. Hope that helps.

• Peggy says:

Heather, I also drew a blank about the starting chain and apparently did it all wrong because I did multiples of seven! Evidently I then did something correctly because the second and following rows are coming out as they should!!–not a true math lover here although I do have a granddaughter who is slightly dyslexic but a math whiz!!–She teaches math in high school and currently working on her second Masters in math!!

3. annedyal says:

Thank you for the pattern. Please just give the number of chain stitches for a normal size baby blanket. What size will 103 stitches make? The starting row is the hardest part.

• Heather says:

I agree it is!! Just make your chain as long as you want your blanket width to be and go from there. It is hard to say what size 103 chains will give you without knowing your yarn weight/hook size/your personal crochet tension.

• Anne says:

Ok, I heard you loud and clear, don’t be lazy. Here we go a size I hook 5.25MM, “I Love This Yarn!” color #102 / name: Soft Pink, purchased from Hobby Lobby. I have 3 skeins, 355 each (just in case I start a baby blanket with at least 900 yards.) I chained 123, and my blanket is approx 32 inches. More details as I complete the blanket. Wish me speed as I want to finish by Thursday!. <3 🙂

• Anne Dyal says:

if you use Light #3 yarn Bernat Softee Baby yarn, hook size G. Crochet chain 163, equals approximately 32 inches long. Will update as I go. I truly like this pattern, but love when the math is already done. Thank you for such a cute pattern!

4. Anne says:

I completed the blanket and is lovely. At first, I didn’t think I would like it using a worsted yarn, and an I hook, however, this wasn’t my first time at being wrong. I would say watch your tension, you could easily start to fan out, plus I mirror the bottom: sc in the sc space and chain 3 across to the last stitch sc. I blocked out to be 35″ by 38 and 1/2″. Thank you so much for this wonderful pattern, making a doll blankie for my granddaughter,

5. Kathleen davy says:

Lovely, very easy to follow. Just done a practice piece in the English terminology. Will do a scarf for my daughter. Thanks a million

6. Becky Sparks says:

I love your stitch pattern! Can’t wait to start a scarf or blanket, but it’ll be awhile till I can get to it. Sorry. I’ve got it pinned though. Thank you for sharing it with us.

7. Sarah Sanches says:

What would be the reason or advantage of X + x, plus x as opposed to X + (total)? I have searched for hours and can’t find it…is it for a certain type of pattern like complicated cables or something? Thanks!

8. Brittany says:

I really like this stitch! I’m in the process of making it into a baby blanket and it’s actually the first pattern I’ve used that isn’t chains or the basic granny stitch. I’m very excited about it! I did 152+3 chains for the foundation and it’s going to be a good size blanket! My tension is all over the place, but I’m still struggling with keeping it consistent. Just takes some practice! Thanks for the simple & easy to read pattern!

9. Olivia says:

I love this pattern, easy indeed. Thank you. You are very talented.
    I’m made a headband ( any width you like) by also mirroring the stitches on the opposite side of the chain and joining both ends together, making sure both sides of the chain have equal rows.

10. Lorraine Preece says:

I like this Iris St, very much. In fact I’m going to send it to my daughter. She has only been knitting for a year,& she is trying to make a curtain/valance for her livingroom window but is having trouble with the pattern. This pattern looks like it will be easier for her.

11. Dawn Stringer says:

So I am mostly a self taught chrocet ‘er ( my mom taught me the basics) every thing else I learned on my own, my question is i have search & searched for what it means + 1 or 2 or whatever so do you count 7 (in this case) for all th chains or just at the end? Can someone explain that to me please?

• Heather says:

For this stitch chain any multiple of 4 and then add 3 more. The extra chains are to accommodate the turning chain.

• Dawn says:

So I believe what your saying is just to add 3 more at the end of your multiples of 4. Thank you so much for the info. I’ve always steered clear of patterns that referred to that. I think this is a beautiful stitch & I’m making a pair of fingerless gloves with it.