Home » Honeycomb Cabled Beanie: Free Crochet Pattern

Honeycomb Cabled Beanie | Free Crochet Pattern | The Unraveled Mitten

Honeycomb Cabled Beanie: Free Crochet Pattern

Spread the love
  • 79.5K
    Shares

One of the big crochet trends I am seeing this fall is texture. Whether it is on a hat, scarf, sweater, cowl, mittens, blanket, it is all about that texture. Playing with textures in crochet is one of my favorite things about designing.

When it comes to crochet textures, cables are the ultimate. I was first introduced to cables a couple years ago when I made this Cabled Slouchy Beanie by Stephanie from All About Ami. Ever since I made that hat, I have had a love affair with all things crochet cables and textures. It opened a whole new world to me.

Honeycomb Cabled Beanie | Free Crochet Pattern | The Unraveled Mitten

I mean really look at all that awesome texture in the pic above (but please excuse my wild and crazy hair, it does what it wants LOL).

If you’ve never tried anything like this hat before, don’t worry, the only special stitch you need to know is the Front Post Treble Crochet. If you are unfamiliar with making post stitches Tamara over at Moogly has a fantastic video tutorial showing you where exactly to insert your hook.

* This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase I receive a small commission that helps me run this site an continue to offer my patterns and tutorials for free.

You may purchase an Ad-free PDF of this pattern on Etsy or Ravelry

• FpTr: Front Post Treble Crochet
  • St(s): stitch(es)
  • Sc2tog: Single crochet 2 together, single crochet decrease
  • Sc: single crochet
  • BLO: back loop only

Notes

Ch 2 does not count as a dc.

I have also made this with Red Heart Super Saver (the gold hat below) with very close to the same results. It was a teensy bit smaller though. I think a better yarn substitution would be something like Red Heart with Love, as its a little thicker yarn.

If you want to make this hat in a bigger or smaller size modify the length of your band accordingly and be sure your stitches in Round 1 end up being a multiple of 8. Then just add more or less rounds until you get the desired size.

Honeycomb Cabled Beanie | Free Crochet Pattern | The Unraveled Mitten

HoneyComb Cabled Beanie Pattern

Band

Row 1: Ch 9, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each across. Turn (8)

Row 2-56: Ch 1, Working in BLO, sc in same st as ch 1 and in each across. (8)

Body

Rnd 1: Ch 2, dc evenly around. Join to top of 1st dc with sl st. (56)

Rnd 2: Ch 2, Dc in same st as ch 2 and in next st. Skip 1 st. Dc in next 2 sts. Working in front of the 2 dc you just made, FpTc around skipped st. Skip 2 sts FpTc around next. Working behind the FpTc, dc in the 2 skipped sts. *Dc in next 2 sts. Skip 1 st. dc in next 2 sts. Working in front of the 2 dc you just made, FpTc around skipped st. Skip 2 sts FpTc around next. Working behind the FpTc, dc in the 2 skipped sts. Repeat from * around. Join to top of 1st dc with sl st. (56 sts/7 groups of cables)

Rnd 3: Ch 2, Dc in same st as ch 2 and in next st. Skip 2 sts, FpTc around the FpTc from previous round. Working behind the FpTc, dc in the 2 skipped sts. Skip 1 st. Dc in next 2. Working in front of the 2 dc you just made, FpTc around skipped st. *Dc in next 2 sts. Skip 2 sts, FpTc around the FpTc from previous round. Working behind the FpTc, dc in the 2 skipped sts. Skip 1 st. Dc in next 2. Working in front of the 2 dc you just made, FpTc around skipped st. Repeat from * around. Join to top of 1st dc with sl st. (56 stst/ 7 groups of cables)

Rnd 4-11: repeat rnds 2 and 3

Honeycomb Cabled Beanie | Free Crochet pattern | the Unraveled Mitten

Finishing

Rnd 12-14: ch 1, sc2tog starting in same st as ch 1, Sc2tog around. Join to top of 1st sc2tog with sl st.

Counting is not necessary for these last 3 rounds, since we are just using the sc2tog as a means of cinching the hat together. If your stitches don’t end up exact that’s ok, just fudge it and move on to the next round.

At the end of round 14, finish off and cut your yarn, thread it through your tapestry needle and weave the yarn in and out around the small remaining hole, cinch it and put a couple stitches in it to secure.

Moving back down to the band of the hat, use your tapestry needle to whip stitch the band closed.

Weave in all ends.

Check out the matching fingerless gloves HERE!

Honeycomb Cable Photo Tutorial

I have had a lot of requests for a tutorial showing how to do the cable portion of this hat. So here we go, I am going to show you how to do 1 cable section in rounds 2 and 3.

Honeycomb cabled Beanie tutorial | The Unraveled Mitten

Rnd 2

Picture 1 shows the 2 dc, skip 1, 2 dc. Moving on to Picture 2, you are going to work back across the front of the last 2 dc you just made and FpTc around the skipped dc. Your FpTc will lay across your 2 dc. Then you will skip 2 dc and FpTc around the next dc like in Picture 3. Then go back and dc in each skipped dc like in Picture 4.

honeycomb cabled beanie tutorial | the unraveled mitten

After that your cable should be looking like the picture above. Continue around the hat and lets move to Round 3.

honeycomb cabled beanie tutorial | the unraveled mitten

Rnd 3

Picture 5 and 6 show 2 dc, skip 2 dc and FpTc around the FpTc from the previous round. Then working behind the FpTc you just made (picture 7) make a dc in each of the 2 skipped stitches. At this point it should look like picture 8.

honeycomb cabled beanie tutorial | The unraveled mitten

Then not counting the 1st FpTc from the previous round because we filled that stitch with a FpTc, skip 1 stitch (which is a FpTc) and dc in next 2 stitches (which are the 2 dc’s from the previous round), it should look like picture 9. Then working across the front of the 2 dc you just made, go back and make a FpTc around the skipped FpTc from the previous round (picture 10). Continue around the hat.

Share your beanies with me on Facebook and Instagram!

Honeycomb Cabled Beanie | Free Crochet Pattern | The Unraveled Mitten

Spread the love
  • 79.5K
    Shares
    79.5K
    Shares
  • 465
  • 79.1K

26 comments

1. Amy says:

I love this pattern! It looks amazing. I do have one question. Do you count the stitch that has the fptc around it as a stitch when adding the dbc?

• Heather says:

Aww thank you Amy, I’m glad you like it. Yes count the fptc as a stitch, be sure not to put a stitch in the top of it and around it. ☺

2. Betsy R says:

Hi there. I have a question and I hope you can help. I’m in row 3 of the body and I’m a little confused as to where my second fptc is going on each little group. Does it also go around a previous fptc or am I missing a stitch somewhere?

3. Rachel says:

So I’m using Vanna’s choice yarn and I had to do 80 rows in the ribbed part of the hat. Which as long as it was multiples of 8 it should of been fine but when I got to the round 2 i kept ending with more than 80 stitches. I’ve redone it sooo many times and I’m at the point of giving up bc I just don’t understand how you ended with the same amount of stitches

• Heather says:

Hi Rachel, lets figure this out. I have a couple ideas of where you might be running into trouble. First. Be sure your stitches in round 1 are a multiple of 8. If you have the correct amount of stitches in round 1 and you end up with more in round 2 then you must be adding stitches somewhere. Check that when you do the FPTC around the post of your stitches you are not also putting a stitch in the top of it. Does that help at all?

• Rachel says:

Plzzzz make a video! I’ve gone over this pattern so many times and still can’t figure out where I went wrong, I’ve been crocheting for years lol and I’ve never struggled this hard 😩

• Heather says:

I’m not quite set up for video yet, but am working on it! This hat is first on my list. I did add a photo tutorial with some more in-depth instructions.

4. Brandy says:

Love the pattern and it’s very easy to follow. And it quick! My question is, is this supposed to be a slouchy beanie? I’m using the hook size you said and feel that this thing is huge, not a very snug fitting beanie, but very loose.

• Heather says:

It is a little slouchy. It could just be case of tension, maybe go down a hook size and see if that makes it more snug. I’m so glad you like the pattern!

5. Kathy Flores says:

I am a self taught crocheter (if that is even a word). I completed the Band but I am confused: “At the end of last row join your band together at the corner with a sl st. We will come back later and whip stitch the rest of the band closed.
    Body
    Rnd 1: Ch 2, dc evenly around. Join to top of 1st dc with sl st. (56)
    I completed the band and sl st at the corner. Do I now attach the Band and dc around? or do I NOT attach the Band? If I fold the Band in half and dc around I don’t end up with 56 dc but about 40. FYI: I increased the Band to 64. Thank you for your help – Kathy

• Heather says:

Hi Kathy, Join the short ends of the band together at the corner with a slip stitch to form a tube. Then continuing on from that slip stitch, chain 2 and double crochet evenly around the edge of the band. In your case you would want to have 64 double crochets around, 1 dc stitch in the end of each sc row on the band. You can pause and whip stitch the band the rest of the way closed with your tapestry needle and the tail from the beginning chains or you can leave it til the end. Does that clear it up a little?

6. Pam says:

Rave reviews for the ad-free version of this lovely pattern available on Etsy for $2.50. I was afraid it was just a careless portover. Not so! Great care was taken to make it a beautiful, well laid-out document with much larger print. Easy to look down from your work and find the line you’re on. Thanks a million for the care you took with it, Heather!

• Heather says:

You are very welcome Pam, I am so glad you like my ad-free pdf version! I like the larger print to, it makes it so much easier to read the pattern while you work. You have made my day with your lovely compliment.

7. Kristen says:

Thank you for this great pattern. A friend shared it with me. I did a test one and at first couldn’t figure out what I was doing. I kept with it, and figured it out finally. The second time, I used a 5 size yarn (Red heart soft essentials) and LOVED the way it turned out. I still used the size 6 hook. I’ll try again with the smaller yarn, but really loved it with this yarn.

• Kathy says:

I am on my 4th trial. Still not working. After row 2 in the body I keep having few than 56 stitches at the end. I will rip out again today and try again.