Messy bun beanies are all the rage right now but what is a girl to do if her hair isn’t long enough for a messy bun? You crochet a wide earwarmer, that’s what. Keep your ears cozy and your hair neat.
I used a new stitch for this project. It’s called the “mixed cluster “. I love the texture of it. You start this stitch in the same stitch you finished the previous cluster. I know it sounds a little intimidating but once you get the hang of it you’ll fly through this project.
Mixed Cluster Stitch Video Tutorial
- Bernat Super Value Yarn. Baby Pink. Or similar #4/worsted yarn. Less than 1 skein.
- 5.5mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle for weaving in ends
Size and Gauge
- Size: When layed flat finished piece measures 10 in x 4 in
- Guage: 6 sc = 2 in.
- Ch: chain
- Sl st: slip stitch
- Sc: single crochet
- St: stitch
- Sk: skip
- Mc: mixed cluster
- Mixed Cluster (mc): yo, insert hook in stitch indicated, pull up loop, yo and pull through 2 loops. Sk 1 st. Yo, insert hook in next st, pull up loop ( 4 loops on hook), yo, insert hook into same st and pull up another loop. Yo, pull through all 6 loops on hook.
- Mixed Cluster Photo Tutorial
Rnd 1: Loosely Ch 59. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Join to top of 1st sc using a sl st. Take care not to twist the yarn. Use tail to join bottom of of stitch (58)
Rnd 2: Ch 1. Mixed cluster starting in same sp as ch 1. *Ch 1, mc starting in same st as previous mc, repeat from * ending the last mc in same st as beginning ch 1. Ch 1, Join to top of first mc using sl st.
Rnd 3 : Ch 1, sc in same space as ch 1. Sc in each ch 1 and mc around. Join to top of first sc using a sl st.
Rnd 4-11: Repeat rows 2 and 3. On last round finish off and weave in ends.
Let me know what you think! Leave a comment below.