Last year for Halloween I dressed my youngest, who was 2 then, as a pumpkin. I picked out a shirt that had a jack-o-lantern face on it, paired it with some legging and then crocheted her this cute hat. Boom, costume complete. I love easy and cheap Halloween costumes. I just don’t see the purpose (or have the budget!) to spend $20-$30 on a Halloween costume they are going to wear for a couple hours, especially since we have 3 kids. It all ads up so fast.
Anywho… this hat works up super fast. I needed to crochet a new one because the one from last year ended up being my daughters favorite hat. It was looking a little worn because she wore it well past Halloween LOL. I made the one in the pictures in just one evening after the kids went to bed.
It is worked flat in a rectangle and then you seam up the ends to form a tube. After that we add a few single crochet rounds to the bottom for the brim, then using single crochet decreases we close up the top and lastly we crochet the curly-q.
* This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase I receive a small commission that helps me run this site and continue to offer my patterns and tutorials for free.
- Red Heart Super Saver in Pumpkin and Spring Green . Less than 1 skein of each. OR any other similar #4 Worsted Weight Yarn
- 5mm/H crochet hook
- Needle to weave in ends
Gauge and Sizing
- Gauge: 7 stitches x 6 rows = 2 in. in pattern
- Finished hat measures: 7 in tall x 8 in wide
- This should fit a 1-3 year old.
- I use US Terminology
- Ch(s): chain(s)
- Hdc: half double crochet
- Sc: single crochet
- Sc2tog: single crochet 2 together, single crochet decrease
- Sl st: slip stitch
- BLO: back loop only
- Ch 1 does not count as Hdc
- To change the size of this hat, adjust your beginning chain up or down until it measures about 2 inches shorter than the height you want your hat. Crochet enough rows until it fits around the recipient’s head. If you are using a size chart rather than a human, crochet the rows until your piece measures what the hat circumference should be.
Pumpkin Hat Instructions
Row 1: Chain 19. Hdc in 2nd ch from hook and in each across. Turn. (18)
Row 2: Ch 1, Hdc in same st as ch 1. Sl st in next * Hdc in next stitch, Sl st in next. Repeat from * across. Turn (18)
Row 3: Ch 1, Hdc in same st as ch 1 and in each across. Turn (18)
Row 4: Ch 1, Working in the 3rd Loop, Hdc in same st as ch 1 and in each st across. Turn. (!8)
Row 5: Ch 1, Hdc in same st as ch 1 and in each across. Turn. (18)
Row 6-44: Repeat rows 2-5. You will end on a Row 4. Finish off and leave a long tail for seaming. (18)
At this point your rectangle should be measuring about 5 in x 16 in. Whip stitch short ends of your rectangle together to form a tube
Join pumpkin yarn at any point on your newly formed tube. I chose to keep it near my whip stitched seam.
Rnd 1: Ch 1, Sc evenly around the hat. Join to top of 1st sc with sl st
Rnd 2: Ch 1, Working in the BLO, sc in same st as ch 1 and in each around.
Rnd 3-4: Repeat round 2. On last round finish off.
Your hat should be looking like the picture below.
Top of Hat
Join spring green yarn to any point around the top of hat (again I chose to keep it near the seam).
Rnd 1: Ch 1, Sc evenly around the hat. Join to top of 1st sc with sl st.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, Starting in the same st as ch 1, sc2tog. Sc2tog around. Join to top of 1st sc2tog with sl st. The count is not important for these rounds so if things don’t work out just fudge it and move on.
Rnd 3: repeat round 2. Do not finish off.
Continuing where you left off at the top of the hat. Ch 28. 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each chain until 5 chs remain. Sl st in remaining 5 chs. Finish off.
Using the tail from your curly-q weave it back and forth through the stitches around the top of the hat. Pull to cinch it closed, weave in all ends
Do you have a horse lover in the family, The Callie Horse Hat Pattern would make a great Halloween costume!