Home » What You Love Shawl Free Crochet Pattern

What You Love Shawl | Free Crochet Pattern | The Unraveled Mitten

What You Love Shawl Free Crochet Pattern

Spread the love
  • 336
    Shares

I have been working on this shawl forever… confession, it’s been done for awhile but I am a huge procrastinator about weaving in my ends haha. But, here it is all finished with its ends woven in and everything. I am so happy with how this one turned out. Sometimes projects just don’t translate well from the idea in my head to actual yarn, this was not one of those. It is even better than I imagined it could ever be.

Originally, I was going to use a skein of random dusty pink I had in my stash (red heart super saver I think?) but after the first few rows it just didn’t have the squish factor and drape I was craving. So of course, I ended up in the yarn aisle at Joann’s.

I picked Lion Brand Wool-Ease yarn. I hadn’t used this yarn since I first started crocheting 6 years ago and for the life of me I can’t figure out why. It has been a joy to work with. It is a blend of 80% acrylic and 20% wool, so it has that springy-ness and that added warmth. It is super cozy and I can’t wait to work with it again.

I had a hard time naming this piece… actually I have a hard time name ALL my projects… somehow Pretty Triangle Shawl just wasn’t cutting it haha. I went back and forth between a few different names but I finally ended on What You Love.

I have this coffee mug that I keep my crochet hooks in that says “Do more of what makes you happy” and one day as I was grabbing my hook out of it, it came to me: The What You Love Shawl. It has been a good reminder to me and I hope it is to you too. Do what you love, make what you love and always be true to who you are.

I have been wearing this thing all week and it is so cozy, I just know you’re going to love it.

You may purchase and Ad-Free PDF version of this pattern on Etsy or Ravelry.

Intro

The What You Love Shawl is crocheted from the center out in a triangle shape that expands as you add more rows. It uses a mix of stitches to create a cozy and stylish accessory you will be proud to wear everywhere. Drape it around your shoulders for warmth or wrap it around your neck as a trendy triangle scarf, you decide. Pick a few colors you love and get started on this fun project today.

What You Love Shawl | Free Crochet Pattern | The Unraveled Mitten | Triangle Scarf

Materials

• 952 yds Lion Brand Wool-Ease (30z/196 yds per skein) or similar #4/worsted weight yarn. I have listed what colors I used below:
    • 2 skeins Rose Heather
    • 2 Skeins Natural Heather
    • 2 Skeins Mushroom
    • I had a little left of each color.
    • Total yardage does not include tassels.
  • 5.5mm/I crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
  • Needle to weave in ends
  • Scissors

Gauge and Sizing

• Gauge: 13 sts x 8 rows= 4 inches in double crochet
  • Finished piece measures: 36 inches from top to point. 67 inches across the top.

• I use US Terminology
  • Ch(s): chain(s)
  • Dc: double crochet
  • FLO: front loop only
  • St(s): stitch(es)
  • Sc: single Crochet

Notes

-This shawl is worked from the center out starting with a magic circle.

-You can change colors at the end of the rows throughout however you see fit. This is how I did it:

CA= Natural Heather          CB= Mushroom           CC= Rose Heather

Rows 1-8: CA Row 19-20: CA Row 35: CC
Rows 9-14: CB Row 21-26: CC Row 36-37: CA
Row 15: CA Row 27-31: CB Row 38-42: CC
Row 16: CC Row 31-32: CA Row 43-46: CB
Row 17: CA Row 33: CB Row 47-48: CA
Row 18: CC Row 34: CA

-Turning chains at the beginning of each row always count as a stitch.

-Work your last stitches of each row in the top of the turning chain,

-I have included how many stitches each row count will increase by in the { } at the end of the each rows instructions. Do not include the ch 2 at the point of the triangle in your count.

-Odd rows are the “right side”

What You Love Shawl | Free Crochet Pattern | The Unraveled Mitten

Special Stitches

Puff stitch: (Yo, insert hook into stitch, yo and pull up a loop) 3 times in the same stitch. Yo pull through all 7 loops on hook.

Pattern

Row 1: Make Magic Circle, Ch 3, (2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in ring. Pull tail to cinch closed. Turn. {6 dc}

Row 2: Ch 3, Working in FLO, dc in same st as ch 3 and in next 2 sts. (2 dc, ch 2, 2dc) in ch 2 sp. Dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in last st Turn. {12 dc}

Row 3: Ch 3, dc in same st as ch 3 and in next 5 sts. (2 dc, ch 2, 2dc) in ch 2 sp. Dc in next 5 sts, 2 dc in last st. Turn. {will increase by 6}

Row 4: Ch 4 (counts as dc + ch 1), Dc in same st as ch 4, *ch 1, skip 1 st, dc in next repeat from * across. Ch 1, (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch 2 sp, Ch 1, Dc in next. *Ch 1, skip 1 st, dc in next repeat from * across, until 2 sts remain, ch 1, skip 1 st, (dc, ch 1, dc) in last st. Turn. {will increase by 8- count dc and ch 1 spaces}

Row 5: Ch 3, Dc in same st as ch 3, dc in each ch 1 sp and dc across, (2dc, ch 2, 2dc) in ch 2 sp. Dc in next st and in each ch 1 sp and dc across until 1 st remains, 2 dc in last st. Turn. {will increase by 6}

Row 6: Ch 2, Puff st in same st as ch 2, ch 1, skip 1 st, *Puff st in next, Ch 1, skip 1 st, repeat from * across, (puff st, ch 2, puff st) in ch 2 sp, Skip next st, *Puff st in next, Ch 1, skip 1 st, repeat from * across. (Puff st, hdc) in last st. Turn. {will increase by 4- count puff sts and ch 1 spaces)

Row 7: Ch 3, dc in same st as ch 3 and in each st and ch 1 sp across. (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch 2 sp. Dc in next st and in each st and ch 1 sp across until 1 st remains, 2 dc in last st. Turn {will increase by 6}

Row 8: Ch 3, working in FLO, Dc in same st as ch 3 and in each st across, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch 2 sp, dc in next and in each st across until 1 st remains, 2 dc in last st. Turn. {will increase by 6}

Rows 9-47: repeat rows 3-8. You will end on a row 5

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up below to receive blog updates in your email.

Row 48: Ch 3, working in FLO, Dc in same st as ch 3 and in each st across, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch 2 sp, dc in next and in each st across until 1 st remains, 2 dc in last st. Turn. {will increase by 6}

Row 49: Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), sc in same st as ch 1 and in each st across to ch 2 sp. Place 3 sc in ch 2 sp, sc in next and in each st across. Finish off, and weave in ends. {will increase by 3 sts}. If desired, make 2 tassels and attach them to each end of the shawl.

If you are interested in another pretty triangle shawl pattern check THIS ONE out.

Share your projects with me on Facebook and Instagram, I can’t wait to see what colors you choose!

PIN ME!

Spread the love
  • 336
    Shares
    336
    Shares
  • 3
  • 333

47 comments

1. Cloudy Seymour says:

Hi Heather I really love this pattern. Would it work as a blanket or throw rug? I was just wondering about the number of chains and if that would work on all the stitches if crocheted straight up. Sorry I know it’s an unusual question.

2. Cloudy Seymour says:

Thank you so much for your reply. It is a beautiful Shawl I may still do that as well. Love the beautiful colours thank you for sharing,

3. Donna says:

Thank You…..This is Beautiful…….you are a genius…I have crocheted for 50 years and this is Awesome….Thank you for sharing…free!!!!! Am anxious to start it, but finishing lots of Christmas Presents ….first!!!! Blessings to You & Yours for 2018!!!

4. Linda Barnett says:

I’m making your beautiful shawl right now, but I have one question: is every row (including the puff stitch rows) done in FLO?
    Thank you for the lovely pattern!

5. Tracy G says:

I love this! And Wool-Ease is one of my absolute favorite yarns. Warm, soft and squishy and it wears really well. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern. It’s beautiful!

6. Jamie says:

Hello, i am working on the shawl. Can you tell me if the top of the shawl remains a straight line as in a triangle or if it begins to angle up from the center toward the edges? Thank you for the lovely design.

7. April says:

I love this pattern! But I have a question… there are two “row 31” in the instructions for the color changes. You have rows 27-31 = CB & then rows 31-32 =CA …. obviously row 31 can’t be both……
    Can you clarify which color row 31 should be?

Also, I seem to be having the opposite problem as Jamie above— the top edge of mine is gradually sloping downward. I had assumed that the reason you always have the first stitch of each row worked into the same stitch as the turning chain was to combat that tendency to “droop” at the shoulders…. but even though I am making sure to carefully place what I call the “corner” stitches (the first and last few stitches of every row), I am still seeing the droop.
    Any thoughts?

Thank you!

• Heather says:

Thank you April! The 27-31 is supposed to read 27-30. ☺ As far as the drooping goes, I am not sure I understand what you mean.

• April says:

Thanks for the clarification on the numbering of the rows.
        As far as my second question, maybe droop was a poor choice of words….
        what I was trying to describe was something opposite of what Jamie was describing in the comment directly above mine. She asked if the top of the shawl remained level or straight across like the edge of a triangle, or if it tended to angle upward somewhat from the center toward the edges/sides….. what I am experiencing is that my top edge is tending to slope downward from the center toward the sides. So that if it’s laid out flat, the overall shape of my shawl looks more like a kite than a triangle. I am a very experienced crocheter (more than 35 years) but despite ripping back and redoing the pattern multiple times, I just cannot seem to keep the top edge flat, much less get it to angle upward.
        I have made sure I have the proper number of stitches in each row, and that I am starting and ending with two stitches in the first and last stitch of each row. Any ideas on what the problem might be?
        Thanks.

8. Sophie says:

Hi,
    I’m at the row 4 right now, but I don’t understand how to do it.

I know the abbreviations and the technic…

Could you help me understand ? 🙂

• Heather says:

Chain 4 and double crochet in the same stitch as chain 4. Then chain 1, skip the next stitch and double crochet in the next. Continue like that across to the corner.

9. Teresa says:

Heather, I love this shawl, did you ever think of doing a video on how to start this project, it might solve the confusion. ?

10. Court says:

Hi, is there a typo in row 7? I’m reading it as 2dc down the one side until you get to the point, and then dc the other side, which is making one side too short…is it 2dc in the first stitch, dc til the last stitch, and 2dc in the last stitch? Or is it 2dc all the way across?

11. Andrea says:

Would you provide a total DC count for each row? For ex, the description on Row 4 is that the count will “increase by 8- count dc and ch 1 spaces”. Is that a total of 26DC? I have only 14 total DC + chains.
    I’m guessing I’ve misread the pattern?

• Heather says:

I just did a quick count, since I’m wearing it now. ? You should have 14 dc and 12 chain spaces (not counting the point chains).

• Andrea says:

Thank you! This is a fun project! I usually stay clear of ones that require constant attention. Yours, though, offers intervals of “mindless” rows with a mix of elegant yet simple stitches. (Learned my lesson – chose Lion Brand Hometown 5oz & it’s too stiff… will do another with less bulk). Again, thanks for creating!

12. Cheryl says:

This is a lovely pattern. My mother asked me to make it for her and I’m almost finished. Just one quick question if you don’t mind. I don’t see row 49 on your list of rows and their colors. Is it supposed to be the same as the previous row?

13. Nancy Riggs says:

Can this pattern be enlarged for a larger shawl? If so which rows would be the repeats I should do for the increase?