Home » Announcing: Sweet Lilac C2C Quilt Inspired Crochet Along

Sweet Lilac Quilt Inspired C2C Crochet Along

Announcing: Sweet Lilac C2C Quilt Inspired Crochet Along

Spread the love
  • 183
    Shares

I am so excited to share our next quilt-inspired crochet along (cal) with you! This blanket features half-square triangle blocks made using the c2c stitch. We will be using a join as you go technique on this cal. No sewing required!

The Sweet Lilac Throw is our second CAL for this year. We are making one blanket for each season, you can see our winter blanket here. They are all going to use a half square triangle (HST) block similar to what is pictured below. There are infinite ways to arrange and make these fun squares (Like this wall hanging!). So I thought doing this crochet-along series would be the perfect way to showcase that.

** This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.

How does this crochet-along work?

Sweet Lilac Spring CAL - Quilt Inspired C2C Blanket

This blanket is made up of 6 different quilt squares. Each square is made up of 16 C2C half-square triangle blocks. I am keeping the final design a mystery. I will reveal one block a week starting on April 8th. Then the last week we will crochet our blocks together and add a border.

I have a schedule written out below, but it will take us 7 weeks to complete

Part of what makes doing a CAL fun is sharing with other crocheters who are also participating. I invite you to join my crochet group on Facebook, this is a great place to share your progress, ask questions and participate in other fun yarny shenanigans.

Will there be sewing?

I am using a join as you go technique to make the 6 quilt squares. Then you’ll crochet around each square and crochet them together. So, nope. No sewing. Each quilt square will have 16 blocks. We will make block #1 and then add block #2 and then #3 and so on.

The join as you go technique is a little tough to get the hang of. But don’t let that scare you off. Here is a photo and video tutorial for the joining technique.

You can also just make your squares individually and sew or crochet them together at the end.

Sweet Lilac Spring CAL - Quilt Inspired C2C Blanket

If you would like to purchase the printable version of this pattern you can find it here on Ravelry! I will update it with the new instructions each time a panel is released.

Materials you need for the Sweet Lilac Throw

• #4/worsted weight yarn – Paintbox Simply Aran from Lovecrafts (100% acrylic, 201yds/3.5oz)
  • 5mm crochet hook
  • Tapestry needle
  • Scissors

I am using Paintbox Simply Aran yarn. This is a 100% acrylic yarn sold exclusively at LoveCrafts.com. I had never used this yarn before and it’s only available online so I was a little nervous about it.

I am happy to report that this is probably my favorite acrylic yarn. It reminds me a lot of Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice. There is a fantastic color selection and it’s affordable too!

I am using the colors: Tea Rose, Dusty Lilac, Raspberry Pink, Lime Green, and Paper White. When choosing colors you’re going to need to pick 4 coordinating colors and then a main neutral color.

Sweet Lilac Spring CAL - Quilt Inspired C2C Blanket

Here is what you need (keep in mind these are estimates as I’m not done with the blanket yet. With these numbers you will likely have leftover yarn)

• 8 skeins of your main neutral
  • 3 skeins each of your four coordinating colors

This would also be a great scrap pattern! This is what I am doing for the blanket you’ll see in the video.

You can order you Paintbox Simply Aran here!

The best way to stay updated on this CAL is to sign up for my email list in the box below.

Need a corner to corner refresher? Check out this tutorial here!

Crochet Along Schedule

I will update this schedule with links to the posts as we progress. Bookmark this post so you don’t lose it.

Add this to your favorites on Ravelry here!

4/8/20: Windmill Quilt Block

Shares
    183
    Shares
  • 183

22 comments

1. Elaine says:

I am not to good with c2c connecting square will there be any help with it. Would really like to try this help to keep my mind off of these troubling times. Thanks for making it.

• Heather says:

I’ll be doing a video tutorial on the join as you go technique. There will also be an alternative way to connect them.

2. debbie goodwin says:

I haven’t learnt c2c, It is supposed to be easy but I just cant get it right. Can anbody recomend a video with captions or written to go with as deaf thankyou

3. Lynn Smith says:

I would like to use teal and coral or peachy color along with the white. Could you suggest yarn colors that would look good together in these colors? Also, you may not be the one to ask but I signed up for their newsletter and it said I should receive a 15% discount. Do you know if I have to put in a discount code or is it automatically applied. I had put your blanket colors in my cart when I decided I might want another color. Thanks so much.

• Heather says:

Marine blue, washed teal, peachy pink and blush pink along with white or champagne white (off white) would look great together! As far as the coupon code, I would check your email for sn email from lovecrafts with the code.

4. Corinne says:

If I want to use yarns from my stash will you give advice as to how to proceed…..will I be able to use multiple colors and still have design make sense? Or will I just need lights and darks.? Yarn is almost as hard to get right now as TP.

• Heather says:

Yes you can use multiple colors. Just make sure that your main color stays the same for the entire block. The design will show up best if you have a high contrast between colors. White, off white, gray, black, navy blue all make great options for a main color.

5. Corinne says:

Hope all is well. With all that is happening it seems yarn choices are in short supply. You mentioned that we can use stash yarn. Does this just mean a matter if light and dark? Or do we need a consistent background color? I love your CALs, I am currently finishing up the winter waves. Glad this one will have a crochet together option.

• Heather says:

A contrast between light and dark will help the pattern stand out. As long as you have at least 1 main consistent color per quilt square it will look great.

• Heather says:

Yes I just updated this post the link. I’m having a few technical problems with my newsletter service right now so there’s a little bit of a delay.

6. Kimberly says:

Would you be so kind as to email the Sweet Lilac Throw to me? I signed up after it was already published…Thank you! Love your work and your tutorials..

7. Bonnie Burkhardt says:

Want to use some Vanna’s choice stash, so I went to yarnsub.com to compare the Paintbox Simply Aran with it. Funny. when I searched both yarns, the one did not compare with the other, but the description of both are very similar.
    PAINTBOX YARNS
    Simply Aran
    Weight: Aran / Medium
    Texture: Plied (3 plies or more)
    Fiber: Acrylic (100%)
    Needles: 5mm (8 US) (6 UK)
    Gauge: 18 sts / 10 cm (4″) and 24 rows
    Balls: 100g; 184m (201 yds)
    Care: Machine wash (30C), Iron (cool), Tumble dry (low)
    Styles: Solid colors
    Price: $

LION BRAND
    Vanna’s Choice
    Yardage varies
    Variants:
    Vanna’s Choice Solids
    Vanna’s Choice Heathers
    Vanna’s Choice Mist
    Vanna’s Choice Prints
    Vanna’s Choice Twists
    Weight: Aran / Medium
    Texture: Plied (3 plies or more)
    Fiber: Acrylic (100%)
    Needles: 5.5mm (9 US) (5 UK)
    Gauge: 16 sts / 10 cm (4″)
    Balls: 100g; 156m (171 yds)
    Care: Machine wash (30C)